The Four PEGS of Requirements Engineering

Title: The Four PEGS of Requirements Engineering
Date: Thursday, March 4, 12:00 PM ET/9:00 AM PT/18:00 CET
Duration: 1 hr

SPEAKER:
Bertrand Meyer, Schaffhausen Institute of Technology; Eiffel Software;
ACM Software System Award Recipient; ACM Fellow

MODERATOR:
Will Tracz, Lockheed Martin Fellow Emeritus (retired); Former chair, ACM SIGSOFT; Member, ACM Professional Development Committee

TechTalk Registration
Requirements Engineering for Software and Systems, Second Edition (Skillsoft Book, free for ACM Members)
Software Engineering: Architecture-driven Software Development (ScienceDirect Book, free for ACM Members)
Software Requirements Planning (Skillsoft Course, free for ACM Members)
Requirements Engineering and Management for Software Development Projects (Skillsoft Book, free for ACM Members)
Software & Systems Requirements Engineering: In Practice (Skillsoft Book, free for ACM Members)
Requirements Engineering: From System Goals to UML Models to Software Specifications (Skillsoft Book, free for ACM Members)
Requirements Engineering Fundamentals: A Study Guide for the Certified Professional for Requirements Engineering Exam: Foundation Level - IREB Compliant, 2nd Edition (Skillsoft Book, free for ACM Members)
Requirements Engineering, Second Edition (Skillsoft Book, free for ACM Members)

The description of this webinar tilts at a 23-year old obsolete and unnamed IEEE standard on requirements engineering. Hoping the presenter is familiar with the most recent international standard for requirements engineering, ISO/IEC/IEEE 29148:2018, Systems and software engineering — Life cycle processes — Requirements engineering

ISO/IEC 25010:2011 (reviewed and affirmed in 2017) specifies Systems and Software Quality Requirements Specification and Evaluation from the perspective of both developers and users. May I suggest that these topics are covered during the talk as they apply to a system or a specific software application and also to their constituents: namely (1) code; (2) data; (3) interface; (4) instructions {in the form of documents}; and (5) training materials?

I am a bit unclear on requirements engineering as seen about the artifacts of software development. I would think the most important consideration is fitness for purpose as well as some of the usual illities. Understanding that and how the deliverable will be situated in human activity or at least be instrumental to a human purpose.

I have lately been revisiting Pattern Language, not for patterns in the expression of software, as successful that has been, but around the context in which the engineered entities are to be situated and be evocative.of purpose.

I suspect that an important factor in successful requirements engineering is in the metrics that are established for the development and how one is to determine that the work is completed along with the risk management for both detection and any mitigation of foreseeable issues.

These are factors behind my current interest. I always find value in Meyer’s perspectives and I look forward to the webcast.

I am curious about how the RE practices could be customized for SME’s particularly developing/emerging economies. I hope these topics will be covered in the talk.

I can’t access the resources (books) listed, even though I am an ACM member.

Please email acmhelp@acm.org. They will assist you.

The presentation was great and the slides are useful. I find Bertrand Meyer to be very thoughtful. The amagamation of OOP and interactive models, along with spirals of development and discovery is intriguing. The pegs are important categories…