Draft 2 Disclosure Policy discussion - Start here!

Draft 2 Disclosure Policy discussion guide
This post describes how to use this site to discuss proposed ACM Disclosure Policy.

How to contribute
Start by reading the article and the policy in CACM. There is a thread for various sections of the policy. Please select the appropriate thread from the table of contents below to make comments and ask questions related to that section of the policy. Members of the Committee on Disclosure will respond to questions that are raised.

We are interested in knowing whether you support the section.

• If you do, be sure to comment that you like it and do not want it changed.
  • If you think it could be made better, indicate how and rationale for the change. Provide wording for your proposed change.
  • If you do not like it indicate how it could be made better and rationale for the change. Provide wording for the proposed change.

If you can, please contextualize your feedback. Let us know things like your

• computing subfield
  • geographic country or region
  • industry context (academic, industry research, government research, industry practice, consulting, etc.)
  • where you are in your career (student, junior, mid-career, senior)

Table of contents

post moved to General concerns and reflections

There’s still time to register for our upcoming open discussion sessions.

1. Tuesday, Mar 14, 17:00 UTC
    https://acm-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qhj1ADjrQuisJqHx9M-bSg
  • New York: Tuesday, March 14 1:00 pm
  • London: Tuesday, March 14 at 5:00 pm
  • New Delhi: Tuesday, March 14 at 10:30 pm
  • Hong Kong: Wednesday, March 15 at 1:00 am
  1. Wednesday, March 15 at 02:30 UTC
    https://acm-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_KK1PL5y1SISWPpICpmN2lA
  • New York: Tuesday, March 14 10:30 pm
  • London: Wednesday, March 15 at 2:30 am
  • New Delhi: Wednesday, March 15 at 8:00 am
  • Hong Kong: Wednesday, March 15 at 10:30 am
  1. Tuesday, March 21 at 13:00 UTC
    https://acm-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_FJ1dRACBTSGfhnDYRw87Og
  • New York: Tuesday, March 21 9:00 am
  • London: Tuesday, March 21 at 1:00 pm
  • New Delhi: Tuesday, March 21 at 6:30 pm
  • Hong Kong: Tuesday, March 21 at 9:00 pm

Would ACM consider alternative methods of assessing community-wide support for the policy? I’m hearing people find this commenting mechanism to be difficult to navigate and/or intimidating. Would a traditional survey that assesses the level of support the community have for this policy be an option? I’ve spoken to a number of people who seem to be in support of what is being proposed yet seem reluctant to post a comment here. I just worry ACM won’t get a good read of the community when commenting closes.

-Natalie Enright Jerger (Vice Chair, SIGARCH)

3 Likes

Member engagement is perhaps a non-trivial opportunity, as I find members of the ACM speak different languages due to the influence of our geographic location, professional activities and formal training, as well as one’s environment. Thus, I would recommend a multi-pronged approach in soliciting feedback.

IMO, transparency is very important, but ownership and responsibilities is as well. Human nature is to take the easy path, in most cases, so ensuring a clear shared vision of understanding by continued dialogue will enable the ACM and the members.

1 Like

Thanks for this insight. I will take it up with the committee.

1 Like