Running Linux Apps on Windows: How and Why?

Title: Running Linux Apps on Windows: How and Why?
Date: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 1:00PM ET/10:00 AM PT
Duration: 1 hr

SPEAKER:
Scott Hanselman, Blogger, Web Developer at Microsoft

MODERATOR:
Bradley K. Jensen, Principal Data Scientist and Architect in the Data and Analytics Division at Centric Consulting; ACM Professional Development Committee (PDC)

TechTalk Registration

Linux in Action (Skillsoft Book, free for ACM Members)
Linux Bible, Tenth Edition (Skillsoft Book, free for ACM Members)
Hands-On Booting: Learn the Boot Process of Linux, Windows, and Unix (Skillsoft Book, free for ACM Members)
Learn Windows Subsystem for Linux: A Practical Guide for Developers and IT Professionals (Skillport Book, free for ACM Members)
Pro Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL): Powerful Tools and Practices for Cross-Platform Development and Collaboration (O’Reilly Book, free for ACM Professional Members
Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2) Tips, Tricks, and Techniques (O’Reilly Book, free for ACM Professional Members
Getting Started with Windows Subsystem for Linux: Unlock the Power of Linux and Web Development from the Comfort of your Windows Desktop (O’Reilly Video, free for ACM Professional Members)

Will you be mentioning the use of Visual Studio Code from Windows to develop in Linux? For example, one can copy-and-past between the two in VSC.

I use emacs on windows, but I am unable to use some features available on linux. How do I enable user-defined macros, spell-checking, and other features that ordinarily require supporting files?

Is this supported on Win10? Will we get a free upgrade from win10 to win11 and then run Linux? thx

What is your advise for students who have little to no experience in computer science? How could we seek for career opportunities?

1 Like