QISKit: A Swiss Army Knife for Quantum Computation

Title: QISKit: A Swiss Army Knife for Quantum Computation
Date: Tuesday, January 9, 2018
Time: 12:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Duration: 1 hour

SPEAKER
Jay Gambetta
Manager, Theory of Quantum Computing and Information, IBM; Panelist, 50 Years of ACM AM Turing Award Celebration

RESOURCES
Registration Link
Turing 50th Celebration Page
YouTube Turing 50th

IBM was early with a Quantum Simulator. I registered but I never used IBM’s site because I was so busy. Since we’re having a discussion about Quantum Computation can you talk about IBM’s approach and what make’s it different. I’ve spent a lot of time reading and using Microsoft’s new released simulator on Azure but I’d still like to get a comparison of the various approaches. Here are some of my questions:

1. Does IBM have a quantum language to program?
  2. What level of mathematics is needed to get results?
  3. How comprehensive is their SDK? I want to learn about more than just teleportation…
  4. Why does IBM feel their approach is the best?
  5. Does IBM have any Redbooks on Quantum Programming?

Software designers are accustomed to absolute logical control (and therefore understanding) over the result of their finally-validated100-bytes (say) module of machine-code. Quantum Computing seems more like the delightful old patch-panel analog computers for which we calibrated power-spectral noise-functions to represent some of the variables, such as wind-gusts. But we could still isolate a particular design variable for both its singular and statistical contributions. However, Quantum Computing does not seem to enable a designer to track and therefore manipulate single parameters in that way for their overall influence on even part of an entangled-system, so will validateable modular programming be possible at all?