Leveraging the ACM Code of Ethics Against Ethical Snake Oil and Dodgy Development

Title: Leveraging the ACM Code of Ethics Against Ethical Snake Oil and Dodgy Development
Date: Monday, June 8, 12:00 PM ET/9:00 AM PT
Duration:1 hr

SPEAKERS:
Don Gotterbarn, Professor Emeritus, East Tennessee State University; Co-Chair, ACM Committee on Professional Ethics (COPE)
Marty Wolf, Professor, Bemidji State University; Co-Chair, ACM Committee on Professional Ethics (COPE)

Resources:
Tech Talk Registration
ACM Code of Ethics
Big Data and Ethics (Science Direct Book, Free for ACM Members)
Cyberethics (O’Reilly Book, Free for ACM Members)
Ethics and Data Science (O’Reilly Book, Free for ACM Members)
Ethics and the Algorithm (O’Reilly Book, Free for ACM Members)
Ethics and Project Management (Skillsoft Course, Free for ACM Members)
Ethics for Science Policy (Science Direct Book, Free for ACM Member)
The Place for Ethics in Organizations (O’Reilly Book, Free for ACM Members)
Rethinking Machine Ethics in the Age of Ubiquitous Technology (Skillsoft Book, Free for ACM Members)

I recently published an article on the advancements made in three professional ethical codes, one being ACM’s new Code of Ethics.

My area of expertise is in computer security, digital forensics, and incident response, so the Malware Disruption case study really resonated with me. I wanted to thank you for creating it and would love your thoughts on how I used it.

I also wanted to ask whether ACM has any plans to collaborate with other organizations in refining realistic case studies like this that can be shared across organizations to achieve better consistency in the content and application of ethical codes. I think this could be quite valuable to the broader community.